Definition of pintail in English:
1A mainly migratory duck with a pointed tail.
- Genus Anas, family Anatidae: three species, in particular the common pintail (A. acuta) of North America and Eurasia, the male of which has boldly marked plumage and two long tail streamers
- Its skies were often darkened by blizzards of snow geese and immense flocks of great blue herons, swans, diving ducks, terns, pintails, mallards, Canada geese, osprey, bald eagles and more.
- Nestled in the hills of California's San Joaquin Valley, a tranquil pond invites flocks of ruddy ducks, pintails, and shovelers to feed at its shores.
- At certain times there can be a million birds in front of you consisting of sandhill cranes, snow geese, cackling geese, white-fronted geese, pintails, wigeons and mallards.
1.1 informal Any of a number of other birds with long pointed tails, especially a grouse.
- As long as water existed nearby for resting, birds like Canada geese, widgeon, and pintails often thrived in the irrigated countryside.
- The 2.56 million pintails could be used to justify allowing harvest of the birds over the whole duck season instead of just 39 days.
- One of the most widely distributed ducks in the world, the pintail is a medium-sized duck with slender, elegant body lines.
Definition of pintail in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan