Definition of piping in English:
1Lengths of pipe, or a network of pipes, made of metal, plastic, or other materials.
- It was replaced at half time by a length of plastic piping that is normally used as a goal post during Little League games.
- The duct network consists of plastic piping routed from the motor to the outlet sockets.
- The initial thought of his sister had him fixing a fire hose and using the long length of piping to lend to his escape.
2.1Thin cord covered in fabric, used to decorate clothing or soft furnishings and reinforce seams.
- Other style-conscious additions include graphic seams, decorative piping and raw edging.
- Total cost for the cover, including piping, zipper and thread: $75 and change.
- The current fashion must-have is a hunt coat featuring coordinating piping around the lapels.
3The action or art of playing a pipe or pipes.
- Eventually, Josephine is missing; nobody can find her and everyone misses her music, her piping, and her singing.
- This event commemorates the birth of the famous Scottish bard on January 25th 1759 and has as its focal point the ceremonial piping in of the haggis, it being addressed and then stabbed and served.
- The Irish Uilleann pipes were played and made in northern cities such as Philadelphia in the nineteenth century, but I've seen no evidence of early piping in the South.
adjective[attributive] Back to top
(Of a voice or sound) high-pitched.
- I sensed a sly, sudden presence to my right, perhaps a cat or a dog, then heard a shrill, piping voice that might have come from a child made of metal.
- Tyranowski spoke in a high, piping voice and stilted phrases from books on spirituality; he became a substitute father and mother.
- Although 36 years old when the film was made, Jonny spoke with a high, piping voice.
- (Of food or water) very hot.[piping, because of the whistling sound made by very hot liquid or food]Example sentences
- The Japanese show no sign of abandoning the centuries-old tradition of stripping off and lowering themselves into piping hot water.
- If you ever come to Vegas during our cold season, we will have to consume some piping hot soup.
Definition of piping in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan