Definition of piranha in English:
noun (plural same or piranhas)
A deep-bodied South American freshwater fish that typically lives in schools and has very sharp teeth that are used to tear flesh from prey. It has a reputation as a fearsome predator.
- Serrasalmus and other genera, family Characidae: several species, including the red (or red-bellied) piranha (S. natterei)
- Two well-known fish with multiple rows of teeth are piranhas and sharks.
- Some items are curios, such as a necklace of peccary teeth and a piranha jaw fashioned into a cutting tool.
- I would rather throw myself to piranhas than have that reputation.
Words that rhyme with piranhaAfricana, Afrikaner, Americana, ana, banana, Botswana, bwana, cabana, caragana, Christiana, Dana, darner, Edwardiana, garner, Georgiana, Ghana, Gloriana, Guiana, gymkhana, Haryana, iguana, Lana, lantana, liana, Lipizzaner, Ljubljana, Mahayana, mana, mañana, marijuana, nirvana, Oriana, pacarana, prana, Purana, Rosh Hashana, Santayana, Setswana, sultana, Tatiana, Tijuana, Tirana, tramontana, Tswana, varna, Victoriana, zenana
Definition of piranha in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.