noun (plural pistachios)
- 1 (also pistachio nut) The edible pale green seed of an Asian tree.More example sentences
- Garnish with celery greens, pistachios, capers and sea salt.
- I can only describe them as 150% sweet, sticky, full of sesame seeds and pistachio nuts with added chilli and curry powder.
- I love the reds and the greens of the pistachios layered on top.
- 1.1 (also pistachio green) A pale green color.More example sentences
- Black is apparently out and colours like bright green are in - this despite the fact that emerald green and hunter green or pistachio green are unflattering to female skin.
- The whole process takes about 15 minutes: water is driven off, the beans turn pistachio green then pale yellow before going brown.
- The tile print is available in pistachio green or pink, while the summery garden trellis print comes in red and cream or black.
- 2The evergreen tree of the cashew family that produces this nut, with small brownish-green flowers and reddish wrinkled fruit borne in heavy clusters. It is widely cultivated, especially in the US and around the Mediterranean.
More example sentences
- Pistacia vera, family Anacardiaceae
- Mangoes come in hundreds of varieties and a wide range of shapes and sizes, and are distant relatives of cashews, pistachios, poison oak and poison ivy.
- The Chinese pistachio is a beautiful tree that matures to about 40 feet in height with a 30-foot canopy.
- Representatives of several major media outlets were on hand as hundreds of volunteers, many of them TXU employees, gathered to plant the oaks, cypresses, and pistachios.
late Middle English pistace, from Old French, superseded in the 16th century by forms from Italian pistaccio, via Latin from Greek pistakion, from Old Persian.
More definitions of pistachioDefinition of pistachio in:
- The British & World English dictionary