Definition of piston in English:
1A disk or short cylinder fitting closely within a tube in which it moves up and down against a liquid or gas, used in an internal combustion engine to derive motion, or in a pump to impart motion.
- Besides leaving salt deposits, rusting internal parts and causing valve damage, water in an engine also makes short work of pistons and cylinders.
- The central control circuit then sends a control signal to the driver's circuit for the accumulator piston.
- The aluminum block has ductile iron cylinder liners and is filled with JE pistons.
1.1A valve in a brass musical instrument in the form of a piston, depressed to alter the pitch of a note.
- It is in C, a tone above the euphonium, and reaches the lowest notes with the aid of six pistons; its upward range is much greater than that of the larger tubas.
- The valves and pistons on a trumpet are very delicate - and essential.
Definition of piston in:
- British & World English dictionary