Definition of pitchout in English:
1 Baseball A pitch thrown intentionally away from the reach of the batter to allow the catcher a clear throw to put out a base runner who is stealing or leading off too far.
- Pitchers also were taught to throw to first more often to keep the runner close; pitchouts have become more common, as well.
- The first time George gave the steal sign, Roseboro picked it up, called for a pitchout and threw out Tracewski by a mile.
- But Robinson also received a tepid response when he encouraged the catchers to call pitchouts in spring training.
2 (also pitch) Football A lateral, especially from the quarterback to a running back.
- Against Colorado, Texas began looking down field more and instituted reverses, pitchouts and the shuttle pass.
- Wells was stuffed on a pitchout on fourth-and-one from the Houston 45.
- He set up Tampa's first score with a 23-yard dash on a pitchout.
Definition of pitchout in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.