1Deserving or arousing pity.
- It makes us look pitiful and pity is not something that we want, we want respect.
- It's pitiful, yet she doesn't want to be pitied, so what do I do?
- It implied, moreover, that the strikers were pitiful wretches whose problems should be addressed through social uplift or charity.
1.1Very small or poor; inadequate.
- In a pitiful and pathetic attempt to get his party re-elected, he has disgraced your wonderful country.
- Along the way, you've got lots of pitiful attempts at push-back spin from administration officials who won't give their name.
- In a pitiful attempt to recover from the picture-posting fiasco I shall share some interesting information with you.
woeful, deplorable, awful, terrible, lamentable, hopeless, poor, bad, feeble, pitiable, dreadful, inadequate, below par, laughable
1.2 archaic Compassionate.
- Example sentences
- I felt like shooting some photos early this morning, so I tiptoed into the yard and was really surprised to see how much color, how much nature exists in this pit of pitifulness.
- Worse than practicing bad journalism, Isaacson seems intent on achieving what can only be called a tour de force of pitifulness.
- But a mob without any man at the head of it, is beneath pitifulness.
For editors and proofreaders
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.