Definition of plaice in English:
noun (plural same)
A North Atlantic flatfish that is a commercially important food fish.
- Two species in the family Pleuronectidae: the European Pleuronectes platessa, often found in very shallow water, and the American Hippoglossoides platessoides, found in deeper waters
- As a youngster he fished off the rocks for the usual species of cod, pollack, coley, wrasse, mackerel and dogfish with the odd plaice or eel.
- They are the last remnants of a once-proud fishing industry, middle-water North Sea boats that fish for cod, plaice, haddock and lemon sole in an area that stretches down from Norway to the Thames.
- Oysters, prawns, eel, trout, plaice, turbot, lobster, salmon and scallops with plenty of golden oldies such as sole veronique, poached and garnished with Muscat grapes.
Words that rhyme with plaiceabase, ace, apace, backspace, base, bass, brace, case, chase, dace, efface, embrace, encase, enchase, enlace, face, grace, interlace, interspace, in-your-face, lace, mace, misplace, outface, outpace, pace, place, race, space, Thrace, trace, upper case
Definition of plaice in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan