Definition of plane polarization in English:
A process restricting the vibrations of electromagnetic radiation, especially light, to one direction.
- Details are also given of a device which compensates for the spurious partial plane polarization that otherwise causes slight differences in reflectance readings when the polarizer on a microscope is rotated, and which simplifies the operations involved in making reflectance measurements on very small grains.
- Example sentences
- In 1845 he studied the effect of a magnetic field on plane-polarised light.
- If all electrons in a material vibrated in the same direction, all the light emitted would be plane-polarized.
- Variable degrees of alteration are responsible for the chalky white colour of the rocks, giving the plagioclase a dusty appearance in plane-polarized light.
Definition of plane polarization in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan