Definition of plasmalemma in English:
A plasma membrane that bounds a cell, especially one immediately within the wall of a plant cell.
- It is, therefore, most unfortunate that little is known of them except that they appear to be gated by tension and link the cell wall to the plasmalemma and possibly the cytoskeleton.
- A mechanosensitive Ca 2 + channel is shown linking the cell wall to the plasmalemma so that relative movement between them, or between the former and the cytoskeleton, could open the channel.
- Folding of the plasmalemma and the formation of multiple small vesicles between the cell wall and the plasmalemma were observed.
- Example sentences
- Caveolins are the main structural proteins of glycolipid/cholesterol-rich plasmalemmal invaginations, termed caveolae.
- The undulating plasmalemmal invaginations have been reported to be unique to brown adipose tissue and hibernomas.
- Ultrastructural examination of the tumor in case 2 revealed pleomorphic mitochondria with dense matrices and transverse lamellar cristae, micropinocytotic vesicles, and periodic short plasmalemmal densities.
1920s: from plasma + Greek lemma 'rind'.
Definition of plasmalemma in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.