- An enzyme, formed in the blood in some circumstances, that destroys blood clots by attacking fibrin.More example sentences
- Plasminogen activators attached to fibrin activate plasminogen, causing the release of the enzyme plasmin within clots and thrombi.
- Degradation of fibrin clots is the function of plasmin, a serine protease that circulates as the inactive proenzyme, plasminogen.
- Substitution of Glu 351 also altered the specificity toward non-cognate proteases: plasmin and thrombin.
mid 19th century: from French plasmine, from late Latin plasma 'mold, image'.
More definitions of plasminDefinition of plasmin in:
- The British & World English dictionary