Definition of plasmodium in English:
noun (plural plasmodia /-dēə/)
1A parasitic protozoan of a genus that includes those causing malaria.
- Genus Plasmodium, phylum Sporozoa
- The genome of the malarial parasite - plasmodium falciparum was only completed two years ago.
- Malaria is a serious illness transmitted by the ‘bite’ of the female Anopheles mosquito which has parasitic protozoa of the genus plasmodium falciparum, plasmodium malariae, plasmodium vivax.
- Coluzzi's research indicates that the most serious type of malaria (known as plasmodium falciparum) reached Rome at about the time of Christ.
2 Biology A form within the life cycle of some simple organisms such as slime molds, typically consisting of a mass of naked protoplasm containing many nuclei.
- The haploid myxamoebae act as isogametes; individuals of different mating types pair and fuse to form diploid zygotes that develop into macroscopic, diploid plasmodia after repeated mitotic cycles without cell division.
- P. polycephalum is a protist that in the course of its life cycle forms multinuclear giant single cells, so-called plasmodia that can be grown to almost any desired size.
- The life cycle of Physarum includes two distinct vegetative forms: the haploid amoeba and the diploid plasmodium.
- Example sentences
- In fungi, plasmodial slime mold displays a diploid life history.
- Note that the life cycle of the wild type usually is diploid and mating of two haploid amoebae then is a prerequisite for plasmodial development and allows genetic analyses.
- This channel, the plasmodial erythrocyte surface anion channel, is present at 1000-2000 functional copies/cell and is absent from uninfected RBCs.
Definition of plasmodium in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan