Definition of plate tectonics in English:
plural noun[treated as singular]
A theory explaining the structure of the earth’s crust and many associated phenomena as resulting from the interaction of rigid lithospheric plates that move slowly over the underlying mantle.
- In the early 1960s, the emergence of the theory of plate tectonics started a revolution in the earth sciences.
- The theory of plate tectonics holds that the entire crust of the earth is broken into six large pieces and many smaller ones.
- Scientists were surprised by this finding because andesites on Earth are typically created by processes associated with plate tectonics.
- plate-tectonic adjective
- Example sentences
- Next are three chapters that deal with the origin of magmas, magmatic differentiation, and plate-tectonic settings related to magma generation.
- His introduction gives an overview of geologic time, plate-tectonic history, and glaciers to set the stage for the rest of the book.
- Oil and natural gas are the products of the deep burial and decomposition of accumulated organic material in geologic basins that flank mountain ranges formed by plate-tectonic processes.
Definition of plate tectonics in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.