1An assembly of all the members of a group or committee.
Influenced by Russian plenum 'plenary session'
- He said the next plenum of the central committee, scheduled after local party congresses from August this year to before March next year, will touch upon personnel matters for a new party leadership.
- Then they hand out little circular mirrors to each member of the plenum.
- A further plenum of the Central Committee met in Wuhan on 28 November.
2 Physics A space completely filled with matter, or the whole of space so regarded.
- Imagine fracturing a material body such as a piece of wood, regarded as a plenum (full of matter).
- A quantum vacuum is more like a plenum than like empty space.
- The early universe was filled with radiation and a plenum of matter, originally hydrogen and helium, formed from elementary particles in the dense primeval fireball.
2.1An enclosed chamber where a treated substance collects for distribution, as heated or conditioned air through a ventilation system.
- This strategy allows the floor level to be raised, and can be the plenum for distribution of conditioned air.
- It acts like a big duct, serving as the return air plenum and natural ventilation shaft on fair weather days, and a thermal buffer during the morning heat gain.
- Carbon dioxide levels in the plastic enclosure were manipulated by passing an air stream through a swamp cooler and into a plenum chamber underneath the enclosure that distributed it evenly over the floor of the enclosure.
Late 17th century: from Latin, literally 'full space', neuter of plenus 'full'.
Words that rhyme with plenumduodenum
Definition of plenum in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.