- A large extinct marine reptile of the Mesozoic era, with a broad flat body, large paddlelike limbs, and typically a long flexible neck and small head.
More example sentences
- Infraorder Plesiosauria, superorder Sauropterygia: several families, including Plesiosauridae
- While dinosaurs ruled the land, the ichthyosaurs, classified variously in the Ichthyosauria or in the Ichthyopterygia, shared the seas of the world with the other great groups of large marine reptiles, the plesiosaurs and mosasaurs.
- More distantly related to true dinosaurs were the marine plesiosaurs and ichthyosaurs.
- Marine vertebrates included the large dolphin-like ichthyosaurs and the long-necked plesiosaurs, marine crocodiles, turtles, and other reptiles.
mid 19th century: from modern Latin Plesiosaurus, from Greek plēsios 'near' + sauros 'lizard'.
More definitions of plesiosaurDefinition of plesiosaur in:
- The British & World English dictionary