Definition of plexus in English:
noun (plural same or plexuses)Anatomy
1A network of nerves or vessels in the body.
- Around the abdominal aorta, the aortic plexus of nerves can be identified.
- The doubled veins may unite in front and behind the artery to form a plexus around that vessel.
- This nerve is considered by some authors as the most variable nerve of the lumbar plexus.
late 17th century: from Latin, literally 'plaited formation', past participle of plectere 'to plait'.
- Example sentences
- Other findings include secondary medial hypertrophy of pulmonary arteries, alveolar hemorrhage, and absence of plexiform lesions.
- In addition, nitrotyrosine expression was also observed in 18 of 25 plexiform lesions.
- Both the localized and plexiform neurofibromas of neurofibromatosis type 1 carry an increased risk of malignant degeneration.
Definition of plexus in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia