Definition of plover in English:
A short-billed gregarious wading bird, typically found by water but sometimes frequenting grassland, tundra, and mountains.
- Family Charadriidae (the plover family): several genera and numerous species, especially the ringed plovers (Charadrius), golden plovers (Pluvialis), and lapwings (Vanellus)
- In the mud flats of the Bay of Fundy, you'll see large roosts of shorebirds - plovers, yellowlegs, godwits, curlews, and phalaropes - at high tide.
- Currently, visitors to the flats are likely to see sandpipers, avocets, oystercatchers, godwits, dowitchers, plovers and other shorebirds on their way south.
- The Semipalmated Plover is a small plover with a short bill and yellow-orange legs.
Words that rhyme with plovercover, Glover, hardcover, lover, undercover
Definition of plover in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.