Definition of plumbing in English:
1The system of pipes, tanks, fittings, and other apparatus required for the water supply, heating, and sanitation in a building.
- There was no kitchen or bathroom, no plumbing or central heating.
- He simply recalled that he drained the old water heater, disconnected the plumbing and reconnected the plumbing when the new water heater was in place and filled the new tank with water.
- The downstairs renovations will include a new entrance and kitchen as well as new plumbing, heating and air-conditioning.
1.1The work of installing and maintaining plumbing systems.
- I know some carpentry, but I know nothing about electrics or plumbing or roofing.
- There seemed to be quite a bit of construction, some plumbing, carpentry, and certainly a good deal of blood, sweat and tears.
- I learned plumbing, electrical, painting, paper hanging - you name it.
1.2 informal Used as a humorous euphemism for the excretory tracts and urinary system: I’d never discuss my plumbing with ladies
More example sentences
- Tomorrow's tests are to check that there's no kidney damage and to check that her 'plumbing' is right.
- I will be taking her to a pediatric urologist after Christmas, to check out her plumbing.
Definition of plumbing in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan