Definition of pluperfect in English:
1 another term for past perfect.
- The extent to which this grammatical form suggests a pluperfect is disputed among Hebrew grammarians.
- He's going to start understanding plurals and possessives and abstract notions of time and space, and before you know it he'll be speaking in the pluperfect subjunctive.
- The driver replies, ‘I've heard that question a thousand time, but never in the pluperfect subjunctive.’
1.1 [as modifier] More than perfect: they have one pluperfect daughter and are expecting an ideal little brother for her
More example sentences
- He is a perfect representative of the Democratic Party and a pluperfect speaker for a Democratic fundraiser.
- All three casts, most of them making their debuts in the ballet, had their virtues, although none quite caught the pluperfect Danish style once personified by Erik Bruhn himself.
Definition of pluperfect in:
- British & World English dictionary