Definition of pochard in English:
noun (plural same or pochards)
A diving duck, the male of which typically has a reddish-brown head and a black breast.
- Genera Aythya and Netta, family Anatidae: five species, in particular the common A. ferina of Eurasia
- More than 70 varieties of birds breed on and around the lake, including the famous ospreys, tufted ducks, goldeneyes, coots, pochards, mallards and widgeons.
- And while the local migratory birds are flying out, the foreign ones like mallards, pintails, teals, shovelers, pochards, waders and curlews are coming in.
- There were several pairs of great crested grebes but there were also good numbers of tufted duck, pochard, gadwall mallard and teal.
Mid 16th century: of unknown origin.
Words that rhyme with pochardRichard • pilchard • orchard
Definition of pochard in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.