Definition of poinciana in English:
A tropical tree of the pea family, with showy red or red and yellow flowers.
- Genera Caesalpinia and Delonix (formerly Poinciana), family Leguminosae: several species, including the scarlet-flowered royal poinciana (D. regia), native to Madagascar
- Ask about the medicinal qualities of plants like the poinciana (the national flower), wild sage (used in teas to treat colds and chills), and soursop (used to make ice cream and preserves, and as a sedative for children).
- It's lovely to have magnificent old trees in the garden - jacarandas, gums, poincianas - but sometimes the ground beneath them becomes a wasteland of scrappy grass, roots and weeds.
- McLean's journey began in Nightcliff, the Darwin bayside suburb where the streets are named after jacarandas and poincianas and every garden bursts with tropical life.
Mid 18th century: modern Latin, named after M. de Poinci, a 17th-century governor of the Antilles.
Definition of poinciana in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.