verb[with object] Ice Hockey
- Poke the puck off the stick of and out of the possession of (an opposing player).More example sentences
- He has one of the best gloves in the game and is a master at using his stick for puckhandling and poke-checking, as well as using his pads to direct rebounds past the on-coming offensive players to the safety of his teammates.
- Body-checking, poke-checking, defending the puck when skating, and even blocking are control commands available in addition to shooting and passing.
- ‘I take some tape and make a big knob at the end of the stick, like goalies have a big knob so when they poke-check or whatever they're not going to lose their stick,’ he says.
More definitions of poke-checkDefinition of poke-check in:
- The British & World English dictionary