- A metal rod with a handle, used for prodding and stirring an open fire.More example sentences
- You will tell them that most nights you just sit home chewing on white-hot pokers straight from the fire.
- We could not produce blue-prints or mould metal pokers in the forge.
- Soldiers also use pokers and metal detectors, digging deeper earth to locate the mines.
- A card game played by two or more people who bet on the value of the hands dealt to them. A player wins the pool either by having the highest combination at the showdown or by forcing all opponents to concede without a showing of the hand, sometimes by means of bluff.More example sentences
- I do not know of any state that has passed a law stating that players can play poker online.
- Also, to refuse to fold when a player knows that he or she is beat is stubbornness, not poker.
- To succeed at the top levels of poker you need your head, your heart and your groin to be able to take it.
mid 19th century: of US origin; perhaps related to German pochen 'to brag', Pochspiel 'bragging game'.