- 1A pair of coordinates locating the position of a point in a plane, the first being the length of the straight line (r) connecting the point to the origin, and the second the angle (θ) made by this line with a fixed line.More example sentences
- Cartesian and polar coordinates are great tools in the analytic geometry of the plane.
- It was based on polar coordinates whereas earlier instruments were based on cartesian coordinates.
- On page 149, Pesic mentions de Moivre's discovery of the formula (cos [theta] + i sin [theta]) n = cos n [theta] + i sin n [theta] and implies that to prove it one needs to think about complex numbers in polar coordinates.
- 1.1The coordinates in a three-dimensional extension of this system.More example sentences
- Since the profile is a curved shape, it's much easier mathematically to use what are known as as polar coordinates.
More definitions of polar coordinatesDefinition of polar coordinates in:
- The British & World English dictionary