- An infectious viral disease that affects the central nervous system and can cause temporary or permanent paralysis.More example sentences
- Infectious diseases such as whooping cough, encephalitis, poliomyelitis, diphtheria, rabies, tetanus, syphilis, and botulism rarely are seen now but can cause vocal cord paralysis.
- The viral disease known as poliomyelitis is highly infectious and can cause total paralysis and even death.
- Other common diseases include schistosomiasis, sleeping sickness, poliomyelitis, tuberculosis, and pneumonia.
late 19th century: modern Latin, from Greek polios 'gray' + muelos 'marrow'.
More definitions of poliomyelitisDefinition of poliomyelitis in:
- The British & World English dictionary