Definition of polity in English:
noun (plural polities)
1A form or process of civil government or constitution.
- They faced an enormous task of transforming their economies and polities from centralized communist control to the market economies and pluralist democracies that membership required.
- That must be defended at all costs to preserve our pluralism and democratic polity.
- The confidence that nonbelievers can reason morally seems to be a precondition for a religiously plural democratic polity.
1.1An organized society; a state as a political entity.
- In other words, in spite of the facade of the modern state, power in most African polities progresses informally, between patron and client along lines of reciprocity.
- Only by pushing for a name change can the country build itself as a polity and thereby establish a national identity.
- What about the legitimacy of citing the decisions of constitutional courts in other polities?
Definition of polity in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan