Definition of polity in English:
noun (plural polities)
1A form or process of civil government or constitution.
- They faced an enormous task of transforming their economies and polities from centralized communist control to the market economies and pluralist democracies that membership required.
- That must be defended at all costs to preserve our pluralism and democratic polity.
- The confidence that nonbelievers can reason morally seems to be a precondition for a religiously plural democratic polity.
1.1An organized society; a state as a political entity.
- In other words, in spite of the facade of the modern state, power in most African polities progresses informally, between patron and client along lines of reciprocity.
- Only by pushing for a name change can the country build itself as a polity and thereby establish a national identity.
- What about the legitimacy of citing the decisions of constitutional courts in other polities?
Definition of polity in:
- British & World English dictionary