- A fine powdery substance, typically yellow, consisting of microscopic grains discharged from the male part of a flower or from a male cone. Each grain contains a male gamete that can fertilize the female ovule, to which pollen is transported by the wind, insects, or other animals.More example sentences
- The stigmas were then pollinated with pollen from a flower whose anther had dehisced that day.
- These bees visited flowers in search of pollen, adopting a supine posture as they entered the corolla tube.
- The egg cell is fertilized by pollen from the male sex organs, the stamens.
mid 18th century: from Latin, literally 'fine powder'.
More definitions of pollenDefinition of pollen in:
- The British & World English dictionary