Definition of polyandry in English:
1Polygamy in which a woman has more than one husband. Compare with polygyny.
- One version of polygamy, polyandry - the marriage of a woman with more than one husband - is very rare.
- Most marriages are monogamous, although fraternal polyandry (having more than one husband) is permitted and is even considered to be prestigious.
- Polygyny and polyandry are not allowed, and it is forbidden to marry close family and kin members.
1.1 Zoology A pattern of mating in which a female animal has more than one male mate.
- Most offspring were from monogamous pairs, but a few cases consistent with polygyny by males or sequential polyandry by females were also found.
- Cichlids also employ polyandry, in which females mate with several males.
- In the rare mating system called polyandry, the female breeds with several males, which then raise the offspring alone.
- Example sentences
- I suspect that even fewer American men would be inclined to enter into polyandrous (one woman, many men) marriages.
- The female of this species is polyandrous and may lay more than one clutch of eggs.
- Approximately 30 birds occupied the Triangle G lagoon, and three families from one polyandrous group (one female, two males) from 1997 were also included in our analyses.
Words that rhyme with polyandryLangtry
Definition of polyandry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.