Definition of polyandry in English:
1Polygamy in which a woman has more than one husband. Compare with polygyny.
- One version of polygamy, polyandry - the marriage of a woman with more than one husband - is very rare.
- Most marriages are monogamous, although fraternal polyandry (having more than one husband) is permitted and is even considered to be prestigious.
- Polygyny and polyandry are not allowed, and it is forbidden to marry close family and kin members.
1.1 Zoology A pattern of mating in which a female animal has more than one male mate.
- Most offspring were from monogamous pairs, but a few cases consistent with polygyny by males or sequential polyandry by females were also found.
- Cichlids also employ polyandry, in which females mate with several males.
- In the rare mating system called polyandry, the female breeds with several males, which then raise the offspring alone.
- Example sentences
- I suspect that even fewer American men would be inclined to enter into polyandrous (one woman, many men) marriages.
- The female of this species is polyandrous and may lay more than one clutch of eggs.
- Approximately 30 birds occupied the Triangle G lagoon, and three families from one polyandrous group (one female, two males) from 1997 were also included in our analyses.
Words that rhyme with polyandryLangtry
Definition of polyandry in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia