Definition of polygamy in English:
1The practice or custom of having more than one wife or husband at the same time.
- Polyandry (multiple husbands) has recently been abolished; the practice of polygamy is legal provided the first wife grants her consent.
- In 1904 church President Joseph F. Smith presented a second manifesto that disciplined those who continued to practice polygamy or perform plural marriages.
- Some wealthy Tuareg men practice polygamy (having more than one wife at the same time).
1.1 Zoology A pattern of mating in which an animal has more than one mate.
- Mating systems characterized by restricted breeding seasons, male polygamy, and female monogamy are common among animals.
- For example, species without care or with uniparental care are expected to show higher levels of polygamy than do species with biparental care.
- Evening Grosbeaks are generally monogamous, although when there is an unusually plentiful food supply, polygamy can occur.
2 Botany The condition of bearing some male, some female, and sometimes some perfect flowers on the same plant.
- In plants, polygamy means the co-occurrence and function of monosexual and bisexual individuals in a population.
- Circumstances show that matrimony is something good for people, and circumstances likewise justify polygamy for plants and animals.
- sense 1.Example sentences
- Most of the estimated 30,000 people practising polygamy in the West trace their roots to early Mormon doctrine, although the church abandoned the practice in 1890 and excommunicates polygamists.
- Admittedly, traditional marriage counselling has done wonders for some, but there are also accomplished and articulate polygamists you can turn to for excellent advice as well.
- From the London Sunday Times, we learn that Muslim polygamists may get special tax breaks in Britain.
Words that rhyme with polygamybigamy, trigamy
Definition of polygamy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan