The doctrine of polygeny.
- The tradition of anti-clerical skepticism even allowed geographers like Vivien to cry scientific freedom so polygenism could challenge the religious constraints of a Prichard.
- In the context of this militant polygenism of 1854-57, the new anthropology professor Quatrefages accepted a version of black perfectibility.
- Broca argued that the anthropologists could debate monogenism or polygenism without extraneous preoccupations.
- Example sentences
- James Prichard, for example, sought to reveal the common origin of all humankind created by God, countering polygenist arguments such as those of Lord Kames, rather than positing the causes of development.
- Although Cuvier believed that the human races had probably developed separately for several thousand years, there were others, who we today call polygenists, who argued that the races were actually separate species.
- Though de Salle opposed Islam he was astute enough to see how the arguments of polygenists could serve slaveholders and imperial adventurers.
Definition of polygenism in:
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.