Definition of polygyny in English:
1Polygamy in which a man has more than one wife. Compare with polyandry.
- Although most Hmong men had one wife, polygyny, or marriage with several women, was an accepted practice.
- Although Muslim law allows polygyny (multiple wives), economic realities mean most Brahui marriages are monogamous.
- For instance, in the practice of polygyny, each wife is typically allotted her own house, most often within the same compound as the other wives but sometimes elsewhere.
1.1 Zoology A pattern of mating in which a male animal has more than one female mate.
- Their breeding system is characterized as harem polygyny: one male mates with multiple females.
- As male territoriality is consistent with female defense polygyny, territorial males should be more likely to sire the entire litter of territorial dams sharing his territory.
- In the absence of inbreeding, the most extreme value of coancestry is achieved by male polygyny together with female philopatry.
- Example sentences
- It follows that parents who leave wealth to sons in polygynous societies will have, on average, more grandchildren than would parents who left wealth equally to daughters and sons.
- I suspect that few American women, for instance, would be that inclined to enter into polygynous (one man, many women) marriages.
- They also suggest that individuals are mildly polygynous, having evolved in a system in which one man maintains a harem.
Definition of polygyny in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan