- (Of an animal) able to feed on various kinds of food.More example sentences
- The two-spotted spider mite and the armyworm S. exigua both are extremely polyphagous herbivores that share many host plant species, have a similar global distribution, and can occur on the same plant species.
- Their function as polyphagous predators within orchards was recognized in the 1800's, and several species are known to prey on key tree fruit pests.
- Although these fruit flies are polyphagous, they typically show strong seasonal preferences for certain fruits.
early 19th century: from Greek poluphagos 'eating to excess' + -ous.
More definitions of polyphagousDefinition of polyphagous in:
- The British & World English dictionary