Definition of polypody in English:
noun (plural polypodies)
A widely distributed fern that has stout scaly creeping rhizomes and remains green during the winter, growing on trees, walls, and stones, especially in limestone areas.
- Genus Polypodium, family Polypodiaceae: several species, in particular the common polypody (P. vulgare)
- Others are maidenhair spleenwort, two kinds of polypody, and walking fern.
- Among the ferns are California polypody, maidenhair fern, and golden-back fern.
- Aquarius Research Natural Area is particularly rich in ferns, including Western polypody, spreading woodfern, oak fern, male fern, bracken fern, and sword fern.
Definition of polypody in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan