(chiefly British also polysulphide)
Definition of polysulfide in English:
1A compound containing two or more sulfur atoms bonded together as an anion or group.
- Thiokol Chemical Corporation produced a synthetic rubber from ethylene dichloride and sodium polysulfide.
- Approximately 3 lb of calcium carbonate are needed to neutralize the effect of 1 lb of sulfur applied as elemental sulfur or ammonium polysulfide.
1.1A synthetic rubber or other polymer in which the units are linked through sulfur compounds.
- The polysulfide degrades, cracks and causes the window to fail and ‘fog up’.
- These coatings exhibit the toughness and adhesion of epoxy, with the elasticity and chemical resistance of a polysulfide.
- There are three common types: polysulfides, polyurethanes, and silicones.
Definition of polysulfide in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan