- Relating to or denoting a giant chromosome that is composed of many parallel copies of the genetic material, as found in Drosophila fruit flies, where they are much used in genetic research.More example sentences
- The structures of rearrangements were defined by mitotic chromosome staining as well as by genetic and polytene chromosome analysis.
- Anopheline mosquitoes, like Drosophila, are renowned for the presence of polytene chromosomes and chromosomal inversions.
- It was mapped in Drosophila by polytene chromosome in situ to 3L heterochromatin.
1930s: from poly- 'many' + -tene (from Greek tainia 'band, ribbon') denoting stages of the first meiotic division.
More definitions of polyteneDefinition of polytene in:
- The British & World English dictionary