noun (plural pomelos)
- 1The largest of the citrus fruits, with a thick yellow skin and bitter pulp that resembles grapefruit in flavor. Also called shaddock.More example sentences
- Slightly larger and heavier than its sister ‘Oroblanco’, ‘Melogold’ expresses more of its pummelo than grapefruit heritage.
- In fact the grapefruit is simply a hybrid between a pomelo and an orange.
- Melogolds and Oroblancos are different hybrids from pummelo and grapefruit parents.
- 2The tree that bears the pomelo fruit.
More example sentences
- Citrus maxima, family Rutaceae
- After the fall of the Roman Empire the Arabs cultivated and disseminated the bitter orange, pomelo, lime, and sweet orange, between the 12th and 15th centuries.
- Since the plants are not that profitable Im planning to plant some fruit bearing trees like rambutan, durian or pomelo in between crops.
mid 19th century: of unknown origin.
More definitions of pomeloDefinition of pomelo in:
- The British & World English dictionary