(also ponderosa pine)
Definition of ponderosa in English:
A tall slender pine tree, the most widespread conifer of western North America, planted for timber and as an ornamental.
- Pinus ponderosa, family Pinaceae
- A single seed was used for species with larger seeds (western white pine, ponderosa pine, loblolly pine, and Pacific silver fir).
- In ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, and Sitka spruce, dimpling sometimes occurs as numerous small, conical indentations of the plane of the growth ring.
- Eventually, dwarf mistletoe plants steal enough water, minerals, and nutrients to kill the ponderosa and lodgepole pines, Douglas-firs, western larches, and western hemlocks they attack.
late 19th century: feminine of Latin ponderosus 'massive, ponderous', used as a specific epithet in Pinus ponderosa.
Definition of ponderosa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan