(also ponderosa pine)
Definition of ponderosa in English:
A tall slender pine tree, the most widespread conifer of western North America, planted for timber and as an ornamental.
- Pinus ponderosa, family Pinaceae
- A single seed was used for species with larger seeds (western white pine, ponderosa pine, loblolly pine, and Pacific silver fir).
- In ponderosa pine, lodgepole pine, and Sitka spruce, dimpling sometimes occurs as numerous small, conical indentations of the plane of the growth ring.
- Eventually, dwarf mistletoe plants steal enough water, minerals, and nutrients to kill the ponderosa and lodgepole pines, Douglas-firs, western larches, and western hemlocks they attack.
Late 19th century: feminine of Latin ponderosus 'massive, ponderous', used as a specific epithet in Pinus ponderosa.
Words that rhyme with ponderosacomposer, discloser, dozer, exposer, Mendoza, mimosa, opposer, poser, proposer, proser, Rosa, Somoza, Spinoza
Definition of ponderosa in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.