(also sovereign or supreme pontiff)
- The pope.More example sentences
- The Vatican said the pontiff has been cured of the flu-related breathing problems that landed him there.
- The Pope made history yesterday by becoming the first pontiff to cross the Tiber to address the Italian parliament.
- The last pope to hold the name of Benedict was an Italian whose reign from 1914 to 1922 encompassed World War I.
late 17th century: from French pontife, from Latin pontifex (see pontifex).
More definitions of pontiffDefinition of pontiff in:
- The British & World English dictionary