- 1 (usually the pope or the Pope) The bishop of Rome as head of the Roman Catholic Church.More example sentences
- Henry VIII was a Roman Catholic and the head of this church was the pope based in Rome.
- In another case, hundreds of people have complained to the BBC about a comic animation series about the pope and the Roman Catholic Church, due to be broadcast next year.
- The fact of the matter is that historiography correctly proves that the early popes of the Roman Catholic Church were of African descent.
- 1.1The head of the Coptic Church, the bishop or patriarch of Alexandria.More example sentences
- ‘The pope's attitude has provoked much unhappiness on the Coptic street,’ Ishaq said.
- The Coptic Patriarch of Alexandria is likewise designated by the non-biblical title of pope.
- 2 another term for ruffe.
Old English, via ecclesiastical Latin from ecclesiastical Greek papas 'bishop, patriarch', variant of Greek pappas 'father'.