Definition of poplar in English:
1A tall, fast-growing tree of north temperate regions, widely grown in shelter belts and for timber and pulp.
- Genus Populus, family Salicaceae: many species, including the North American cottonwoods, the quaking aspen, and the balm of Gilead poplars
- Upstairs, corner windows in bedrooms give more sweeping views of the property's black cherry trees, poplars and white pines.
- The most common forms included beech-like trees, poplars, willows, cattails, sumac, soapberry, and conifers such as pines, sequoias, and false cypress.
- Hurricane Hugo had just come through, leveling the tulip poplars and other trees that had obstructed a view of the town and the Virginia mountains in the distance.
Words that rhyme with poplarDoppler
Definition of poplar in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan