- A herbaceous plant with showy flowers, milky sap, and rounded seed capsules. Many poppies contain alkaloids and are a source of drugs such as morphine and codeine.
More example sentences
- Papaver, Eschscholzia, and other genera, family Papaveraceae (the poppy family): many species, including the yellow-flowered arctic poppy (P. radicatum) of the Rocky Mountains. The poppy family also includes the corydalis, greater celandine, and bloodroot
- Plants like peonies, poppies, and irises should also be planted in the fall season.
- There will be colourful flowers, such as poppies to look at and smell, prickly plants and vegetables to eat.
- We tried cheerful annuals, marigolds, nasturtiums and poppies.
- More example sentences
- The heavily poppied hills lie further north by the Wa headquarters at Panghsang, along the border with China's Yunnan province.
- Once over the mountains, we headed south, down the poppied fields of the golden and notorious Bekaa Valley.
Old English popig, papæg, from a medieval Latin alteration of Latin papaver.
Entry from British & World English dictionary