A tropical marine fish that has a parrotlike beak and is covered with sharp spines. It inflates itself like a balloon when threatened.
- Family Diodontidae: three genera and several species, including the widely distributed Diodon hystrix. See also burrfish
More example sentences
- They went swimming with loggerhead turtles, bottle-nosed dolphins, nurse sharks, moray eels, stingrays, and porcupine fish at one of the world's top dive sites.
- The exhibit offers a glimpse into the marine life with the moray eel, which resembles a tiger, lobster, sea horse, porcupine fish and squirrelfish being displayed.
- Jacks, titan triggers, morays, blue-ringed angelfish, lionfish, and porcupine fish are residents in this landscape dotted with barrel sponge, and pretty soft and white and purple coral.
Definition of porcupine fish in:
- The British & World English dictionary