Definition of porgy in English:
noun (plural same or porgies)
A deep-bodied fish related to the sea breams, typically silvery but sometimes changing to a blotched pattern. It usually lives in warm coastal waters.
- Calamus and other genera, family Sparidae: many species
- However, it makes a good home for numerous pufferfish, porgies and sweetlips, and surgeonfish shoal in the open water nearby.
- While deciding, we stared into the eyes of a striped bass, sea bass, porgy and red snapper.
- The porgy is a fine fish with firm and flaky flesh.
Mid 17th century: alteration of Spanish and Portuguese pargo.
Words that rhyme with porgycorgi
Definition of porgy in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.