Definition of pornography in English:
Printed or visual material containing the explicit description or display of sexual organs or activity, intended to stimulate erotic rather than aesthetic or emotional feelings.
- The denial of the social fact of sexuality in pornography is made explicit in its audience.
- This is not hardcore pornography and the material can be bought in many stores.
- There's always a tricky issue when you get into stolen material or pornography.
mid 19th century: from Greek pornographos 'writing about prostitutes', from pornē 'prostitute' + graphein 'write'.
- Example sentences
- It's true, what Americans would call pornography, Japanese pornographers call ‘pink film.’
- The internet, headlines constantly warn us, is an unregulated haven of paedophiles and pornographers, hackers and hate-criminals, fraudsters and phishermen.
- From politicians to con artists, rapists to flesh peddling pornographers, we all have a certain visual reference point for the redolent and the reprobate.