Definition of porphyroblast in English:
A larger recrystallized grain occurring in a finer groundmass in a metamorphic rock.
- Evidence of contact metamorphism of the wall-rock includes andalusite porphyroblasts enclosed in a fabric related to Caledonian nappe emplacement.
- Such inclusions may be aligned, preserving evidence of the fabric in the rock when the porphyroblast grew.
- Cordierite in these two metamorphic belts forms rounded, opaque black to brown porphyroblasts typically less than 0.5 inch across.
- Example sentences
- Strongly foliated porphyroblastic politic gneiss forms a selvedge up to 100 m thick in sharp (but in some cases ductile) contact with peridotite on the northern margin of the Carratraca massif.
- The earliest porphyroblastic fabric is not restricted to the immediate metapluton surroundings.
Pronunciation: /pôrˌfirəˈblastik/ /ˌpôrfərō-/adjective
Definition of porphyroblast in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan