- 1The system of blood vessels consisting of the portal vein with its tributaries and branches.More example sentences
- The fact that veins can be seen is not useful, but the direction of blood flow in visible veins can be useful information because these veins connect to the portal system through the umbilical vein.
- ‘Piles’ of the cardiac orifice of the stomach from obstruction to the portal system, may produce hemoptysis.
- None of the veins have valves, hence they form a free communication between the systematic and portal systems of veins.
More definitions of portal systemDefinition of portal system in:
- The British & World English dictionary