Definition of posada in English:
1(In Spanish-speaking regions) a hotel or inn.
- Now, Nicaragua has smart jungle lodges, friendly posadas and ecofriendly local operators.
- The place where I'm staying, is newish, and a cut above the rest - a row of shanty-chic posadas in a tropical garden right opposite those incendiary falls.
- We hiked every day high up in the mountains, slept in posadas for US $10 a night, breakfast included.
1.1 (also Las Posadas) A ritual re-enactment of Mary and Joseph’s search for a lodging in Bethlehem, performed just before Christmas.
- A Christmastime tradition is the posada, a celebration held each night beginning on December 16.
- The posadas are held on nine consecutive nights, ending on Christmas Eve.
- Preceding Christmas are the colorful posadas, nightly celebrations that begin December 16 and commemorate Mary and Joseph's search for an inn in Bethlehem before Jesus was born.
Spanish, from posar 'to lodge'.
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan