Definition of possessor in English:
1A person who owns something or has a particular quality: his father was the possessor of a considerable fortune
More example sentences
- History shows that since the arrival of Africans on American shores, some black Americans have been free, self-employed, and possessors of considerable wealth.
- At the time, there was a rule that students could not bring radios to school, and the officials had been enforcing the rule with great vigor, seizing radios and punishing their possessors.
- But the certainty of retaliation and mass destruction has kept nuclear weapons possessors from using them.
1.1 Law A person who takes, occupies, or holds something without necessarily having ownership, or as distinguished from the owner.
- But for all other articles, including most knives, the onus is on the prosecution to prove beyond reasonable doubt that the possessor intends to use it to cause injury.
- The wrongful acts of a previous possessor do not therefore diminish the plaintiff's claim in respect of the wrongful acts of a later possessor.
- Except in the case of joint possessors, possession is single and exclusive.
- Example sentences
- The trial decision is about equitable possessory title and the court of appeal said that doesn't exist.
- To take account of this, the system provides for a possessory title to be upgraded to absolute title after it has been registered for 12 years.
- The screenwriters union wants to eliminate the so called possessory credit, ‘A film by…,’ saying it relegates writers to a secondary status within the industry.
Words that rhyme with possessoraddresser, aggressor, assessor, compressor, confessor, contessa, depressor, digresser, dresser, guesser, intercessor, lesser, Odessa, oppressor, professor, represser, successor, transgressor, Vanessa
Definition of possessor in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in India
Most popular in Pakistan