Definition of posset in English:
2 historical A drink made of hot milk curdled with ale, wine, or other alcoholic liquor and typically flavored with spices, drunk as a delicacy or as a remedy for colds.
- A posset was a hot drink made from milk curdled with ale, wine, or other liquor, often with sugar, spices, and herbs added in.
- Spiced cider and the alcoholic posset were served hot, but the staple beverage everywhere was beer, beginning with breakfast.
- I think I love the names of trifles, possets, fools and syllabubs more than I enjoy eating them.
verb (possets, possetting, possetted)[no object] Back to top
(Of a baby) regurgitate curdled milk: bless its little heart, it’s possetting again
More example sentences
- I'm so used to the constant ‘possetting’ I forgot to mention it when I dropped the boy off, so the olds spent the day wondering whether Jr was really sick in a contagious sort of way.
- From time to time the baby belched and possetted back a small quantity of milk.
- Of course, Freddie pulled my hair and possetted onto it as soon as I got home again!
late Middle English: of unknown origin; the verb is first recorded in English dialect in the late 19th century.
Words that rhyme with possetcosset
Definition of posset in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the US
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Spain
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan