Definition of postfeminist in English:
Coming after the feminism of the 1960s and subsequent decades, in particular moving beyond or rejecting some of the ideas of feminism as out of date.
- It is too easy to skip over feminism in these self-proclaimed post-feminist times.
- Mothers of America, it's time to talk back and refute insulting post-feminist propaganda.
- Lisa clearly comes from this generation of sexually-empowered post-feminist females; Matt is just old enough to find it novel.
nounBack to top
A person who rejects some earlier feminist ideas as out of date.
- She and her peers were not so much feminist as postfeminist; they'd reaped the benefits of Title IX, the 1972 law mandating gender equality in scholastic athletics.
- Reports the sociology professor: ‘My biggest surprise in teaching here is that I am coming across growing numbers of postfeminist college women.’
- Dark Angel appears to be the usual postmodern, postfeminist representation of the female action hero with (at least) a reversal or (at most) a mixture of traditional gender traits.
- Example sentences
- This feminist novel has already traveled into the era of post-feminism.
- The apparent popularity of post-feminism should give feminists pause particularly because the post-feminist strain veils deep-seated conservatism.
- In this kind of environment, post-feminism confronts the young feminist as something of a briar patch to be negotiated with care.
Definition of postfeminist in:
- British & World English dictionary
What do you find interesting about this word or phrase?
Comments that don't adhere to our Community Guidelines may be moderated or removed.
Most popular in the UK
Most popular in Canada
Most popular in Australia
Most popular in Malaysia
Most popular in Pakistan